[ISLMA-Share] mock elections in the library?

Mon Sep 26 12:19:36 CDT 2016

Hi All,

I run a mock election in conjunction with the social studies department at
my middle school.
I got a grant quite a few years ago to get voting booths.
I build the ballot on a Google form using a ballot that mirrors the one the
adults in the community use.
We try to make the polling place and the experience mirror the real thing
as much as possible.

Student volunteers serve as a election judges.
I do a training with them before the election. They work for a couple hours
during the school day.
They check in students using the list generated from voter registration, do
some vote assistance, manage the polling place, and hand out the i voted
today stickers.

We'll do an exercise with the electoral college with this round of voting
using student homerooms to represent the states.

Our 6th and 7th graders are brought to the library/polling place to vote by
classes. Our 8th graders have to make it to the polling place during the
school day if they want to vote. This also gives us some info about voter
turnout.

It's an event I look forward to for each election. We did a mock election
for the primary last spring as well.
Erin

Erin Wyatt, Ph.D.
Learning Center Director
Highland Middle School
310 W. Rockland Rd.
Libertyville, IL 60048
http://www.d70schools.org/~hlc

On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Is anyone doing a mock election in their Library? We are trying to
> coordinate one around Youth Leadership Initiative's site
> <http://208.81.226.245/learning-programs/mock-election/>. I would
> appreciate any tips and tricks!
>
> Jamie Winchell
> Teacher Librarian
> Library Media Center <http://www.op97.org/julian/mediacenter/index.cfm>
> Percy Julian Middle School
>
> “Great books help you understand, and they help you to feel understood.”
> -John Green

Erin Wyatt