[ISLMA-Share] Fines

Tue Sep 27 12:33:23 CDT 2016

I have a 5-8 building and we do not charge fines. We send out a weekly email with the students who are overdue and the teachers are wonderful about helping us round up books. We also have 2 book drops in our hallway so they can drop books without having to come all the way down. We do charge for damaged or lost books. There will always be those students who we will have to chase but we usually account for every book. Students are not allowed to check out a book if they have an overdue item. This helps motivate them to return on time.

Hope this helps
Tricia Coffman

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 12:23 PM
To: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Fines

Hi all!

Wondering if there are any middle school libraries out there that don't charge fines for late books?

How does that work for your library?  Are you chasing after kids to get their books turned in?  Are they more likely to return them without the worry of a fine or more likely to keep them b/c they won't get a fine?

Admin has approached me with is opinion of fines and I know I need to prep for when he chooses to have an official conversation about it.

Thanks!

--
Sincerely,
Amy Hamernick

"If we always do what we've always done,
we will get what we've always got."
~Adam Urbanski~