[ISLMA-Share] Anime Clubs

Wed Sep 28 09:21:32 CDT 2016

We had a pretty successful one here for a bit. It was run by the librarian
from our public library (who came into the high school once a month,
brought snacks, and talked geek with a cluster a sweaty teenagers.) They
loved it. The club featured a different series each month and our high
school attempted to stock at least a few titles that they would be
discussing. (We added Black Butler based on manga club.) You really need to
find a sponsor who is a devotee to make this work. Kids can smell a fake a
mile away. That devotee could be you, with a lot of work; the whole genre
gives me a headache, however. You might ask around on your staff to see if
you have a teacher who's a fan already. (Not to dwell too much on
sterotypes, but in our school, it is skinny male English teachers, in their
early 20's and 30's).

Leah Krippner
Librarian, Harlem High School
I am currently reading *Scavenger Zoid* by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 8:59 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Does anyone have any anime clubs in their schools?  Our HS principal was
> approached by a couple of our students to start one.  She was going to
> refer them to the art teacher, but then after reading some of the articles,
> and references to Manga, she wondered if I could be involved.  We don't
> have Manga in our library--a few graphic novels, but nothing that you would
> consider Manga.  Any help would be appreciated!
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Carolyn Gephart
> District Librarian
> Galena Unit School District 120
>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
> This message contains confidential information intended only for use of
> the person named above and may contain communication protected by the
> Illinois School Student Records Act.  If you have received this message in
> error, you are hereby notified that dissemination, distribution, copying,
> or other use of this message is prohibited, and you are requested to notify
> the sender of the message immediately at the email address listed above and

This email was sent by a staff member of Harlem Consolidated School
District 122.