[ISLMA-Share] Challenged Book

Thu Sep 29 11:23:04 CDT 2016

I am interested in how others handle challenged books.  I have a parent who
is adamant about purchasing the book to get it off the shelf.  I gave her a
copy of our collection development policy which calls for a committee to
review the book and then make a determination.  It does not specify
anywhere that the parent can purchase the book if they don't like the
contents.  For now, I have taken the book off the shelf.  In the last year,
her child has brought home books about zombies, vampires, and other weird
happenings and she hasn't said a word.  I just wonder if she didn't see
those books, but saw this one on witches and reacted.  Any thoughts?

Nancy Genteman
Highland CUSD#5
Highland, IL