[ISLMA-Share] Challenged Book

Thu Sep 29 11:31:07 CDT 2016

My initial reaction would be that you are a library, not a bookstore. Of course you could always sell her the book and use the money to buy another copy if you think it should be in your collection according to your collection development policy and it passes your school’s prescribed due process when she presses her challenge.

Michael Dorsam
Teacher/Librarian
Boiler Media
National Honor Society Adviser
Bradley-Bourbonnais Community High School
700 W. North St.
Bradley, IL 60915
(815) 937-3707, ext. 6063 or 6061
Currently Reading: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
“Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth.”
                                                                              -- Muhammad Ali

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2016 11:23 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Challenged Book

I am interested in how others handle challenged books.  I have a parent who is adamant about purchasing the book to get it off the shelf.  I gave her a copy of our collection development policy which calls for a committee to review the book and then make a determination.  It does not specify anywhere that the parent can purchase the book if they don't like the contents.  For now, I have taken the book off the shelf.  In the last year, her child has brought home books about zombies, vampires, and other weird happenings and she hasn't said a word.  I just wonder if she didn't see those books, but saw this one on witches and reacted.  Any thoughts?
Nancy Genteman
Highland CUSD#5
Highland, IL