[ISLMA-Share] Challenged Book

Thu Sep 29 11:34:37 CDT 2016

Purchasing a book to get it off the shelf is censorship through and
through.  That's why you have a challenge procedure, which I hope requires
the parent to read the book from cover to cover and then write down her
specific objections. Good luck!

Gerry Wyatt
LRC Director
Grace McWayne School
Batavia, IL

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> I am interested in how others handle challenged books.  I have a parent
> who is adamant about purchasing the book to get it off the shelf.  I gave
> her a copy of our collection development policy which calls for a committee
> to review the book and then make a determination.  It does not specify
> anywhere that the parent can purchase the book if they don't like the
> contents.  For now, I have taken the book off the shelf.  In the last year,
> her child has brought home books about zombies, vampires, and other weird
> happenings and she hasn't said a word.  I just wonder if she didn't see
> those books, but saw this one on witches and reacted.  Any thoughts?
>
> Nancy Genteman
> Highland CUSD#5
> Highland, IL

Geralyn M. Wyatt