[ISLMA-Share] Challenged Book

Thu Sep 29 12:10:04 CDT 2016

I don't sell books.  To anyone, for any reason.  I've had students ask
because they love a book and can't get it at the bookstore.  I had a
substitute teacher ask once! He wanted a book that was out of print, and
since "no one ever checked it out" could he buy it.

Nope.  The challenge process is there for a reason, and should be
followed.  Buying the book is a good try, though.  Gotta give her credit!
Good luck!

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 11:23 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> I am interested in how others handle challenged books.  I have a parent
> who is adamant about purchasing the book to get it off the shelf.  I gave
> her a copy of our collection development policy which calls for a committee
> to review the book and then make a determination.  It does not specify
> anywhere that the parent can purchase the book if they don't like the
> contents.  For now, I have taken the book off the shelf.  In the last year,
> her child has brought home books about zombies, vampires, and other weird
> happenings and she hasn't said a word.  I just wonder if she didn't see
> those books, but saw this one on witches and reacted.  Any thoughts?
>
> Nancy Genteman
> Highland CUSD#5
> Highland, IL

Annette Mills