[ISLMA-Share] Visual literacy

Wed Apr 5 12:19:47 CDT 2017

For those interested in Visuals for Literacy – there are still a few seats left at our annual Targeting Autism National Forum in Springfield, IL May 11 and 12, 2017.  May 12 Linda Hodgdon will present visual strategies to help patrons benefit from libraries!  The forum is free and meals are provided.  We have about ten hotel rooms left.  If you are interested, register soon via https://targetingautismlibs.com.  The full two-day agenda is also available on the blog.  Or if you have questions, you can also email me off list at mpelich at ilsos.net<mailto:mpelich at ilsos.net>.

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2017 3:00 PM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Visual literacy

Use the Oliver Tallec books for k-2. Lots of fun and requires deductive thinking. Who Done it is great.

Sent from my iPad

On Apr 3, 2017, at 12:26 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info<mailto:islma at list.railslibraries.info>> wrote:
This is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen is a fantastic read aloud for visual literacy (and inferencing and POV) because the pictures and the words tell different stories.

I’ve actually read it to middle schoolers to teach these things and it works really well.  I usually stop after reading the text and ask questions about it, like after the text “And he’ll never figure out it’s me,”  I’ll ask “Did he figure it out?   How do you know?”  and they’ll respond with observations about the illustrations, culminating with “What happened?” and “How do you know?” after the text ends.

Kathryn Spindler
Co-Library Media Center Director
Bolingbrook High School