[ISLMA-Share] sharing Library Activity Ideas

Mon Apr 24 13:47:10 CDT 2017

This year, we decided to have a new theme for each school month, starting
in Sept. Our school is grades 6-12, and it's been hugely popular and
successful in drawing in non-readers ... who then often end up becoming
faithful readers! Thought I'd share some of our best months for anyone
who's interested:
*SEPT*. -  started out small/not that original. Teachers told me their
favorite book from their school years. Made small 1/2 pg size posters
picturing the teacher and the cover of their favorite book and posted them
around the room. Both kids & staff loved it. Also launched our Reading
Contest & other year-start stuff.
*"Optical" OCT.* - printed up (or my T.A. did!) over 50 optical illusions
that decorated the library. (Kids voted on their favorites.)  Printed a
huge mandala that students were invited to color (posted on a library exit
door). Also put another mandala outside our room made from our mascot for
coloring (again, my TA did the work) and added a couple notebooks of adult
color pages (copies from $ store books put in binders) for kids to help
themselves and made up coloring book marks from some of the adult color
book pages.
*NO-CLUE NOV. - *Took 18 pix of tiny details around the school, numbered
them and put on a huge poster for students/staff to see if they knew where
the pic was taken. Also, teachers told me some detail about themselves that
were put into riddles for students / staff to guess "Who is it?" Also added
maze-book marks, created a binder of mazes free-to-take, and had a
break-out box activity for Reading Contest participants at the end of the
month.
*JOKE'S ON JAN. - *Teachers shared their favorite jokes or memes that were
display and we had a running g-mail that students / teachers could add a
joke or funny story throughout the dreary month. I was surprised how super
popular this simple theme was! Put out "joke" bookmarks.
*MOVIE MARCH* - (hands-down favorite) printed up posters of movies that
came from YA books to post around room ... & then pasted teachers' faces
over some of the actors, just for fun. Had some huge, actual movie posters
to decorate the library too. Held a Movie March Kahoot! at the month's end
for Reading Contest participants.
Of course we had displays that corresponded. It's been fun :)
If you're interested in any other of our monthly themes OR have some
suggestions for next year, let me know!
:) Kathy

--
*Kathy Sullivan*
*Princeville Junior Senior High School*

*"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." *- Joseph Addison