[ISLMA-Share] sharing Library Activity Ideas

Tue Apr 25 10:26:42 CDT 2017

We did Maker March in the high school library. We created a STEM books
hallway bulletin board, and our library book displays were STEM, Maker, or
tech related. We put out a "take apart tech table" -- the kids fixed a
broken Playstation so we let them play it. We posted Maker/STEM Trivia on a
white board every day for prizes. There were also various maker/STEM
passive programming boxes on tables around the library -- button making,
bridge building, stop-motion videos, legos, a KNEX roller coaster, Suduko,
cryptoquotes, and a Bloxel game. We put table top signs around the library
tables explaining all the small programs scattered throughout, so kids just
found their way to what they were interested in without having to ask or be
part of a group if they didn't want to. It was fun.

For April we did the Reading Without Walls Challenge
<http://geneyang.com/the-reading-without-walls-challenge>. We put books for
each of the three categories of the challenge on three separate displays.
We put books on easels on all the library tables with bookmarks reminding
them of the challenge. And we're hosting a Reading Without Walls inspired
button design contest this week -- voting starts tomorrow. We also have
various coloring activities out. We are closed quite a bit for testing this
month so we didn't go all out with passive programs.

Our May theme is Art since we host the school's art show. We're still
working on the final details (ideas welcome!), but here is the bulletin
board we made out of paint chips last year for the month. Hoping to top it
with this year's board. :)

[image: Inline image 1]

Moving to a monthly theme has been great at the high school level so far
(we just started in 2017). Some students don't use the library every week,
so they miss events they would like to participate in when our programs
last a week or less. We still pepper in game days, spirit days, book
displays etc. that are not necessarily connected to the major theme of the
month.

I love Kathy's themes. Thanks for sharing! I'd love to see what other
months are out there. :)

*Angela Pigoni*
LLC Director
Wheaton North High School <http://www.cusd200.org/Domain/112>
630.784.7300 x8498

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library