[ISLMA-Share] Fight for Senate Support of LSTA and IAL Funding is ON!

Wed Apr 26 15:50:38 CDT 2017

Time to contact our US Senators Duckworth and Durbin in regards to federal
funds for libraries and literacy!

Lou Ann Jacobs

Having trouble viewing this e-mail? View as a web page.
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNjQ/index.html>
[image: ALA Membership]

Dear ALA Members, Library Leaders, Volunteers, Vendors, and All Library
Users and Lovers:

I promised you I would be back! I’m writing you this morning because it’s
time once again to *Fight for Libraries!
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNjU/index.html>*
in Washington. As you will remember, that’s the campaign web page for
federal library funding advocacy we launched last month to enable all
library supporters to easily ask their member of the House of
Representatives to #save IMLS and to sign letters to the House
Appropriations Committee specifically supporting LSTA funding in FY 2018 of
$186.6 million and $27 million for the Innovative Approaches to Literacy
(IAL) program.

And thousands of you did! Ultimately, *one-third of the entire House of
Representatives
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNjY/index.html>*
signed one or both of these vital “Dear Appropriator” letters. Thank you!
Now, we’ve got to do even better in the Senate, where similar letters for
LSTA and IAL are circulating right now.

It’s no exaggeration to say that “failure is not an option.” With the
President proposing the total elimination of IMLS and effectively all
federal library funding, we have to convince a majority of Senators to put
their support for LSTA and IAL in writing by signing the separate LSTA and
IAL “Dear Appropriator” letters our bipartisan champions have sent all
their fellow Senators to review. And we’ve got just a few short weeks to
succeed.

At Fight for Libraries!
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNjU/index.html>,
it’s fast and easy to see if your two U.S. Senators have signed
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNjY/index.html>
both of our letters and, if not, to take action now. As their constituents,
your request—not ALA’s or our lobbyists’—is the only one that will really
count.  So...

   - Today, please use Fight for Libraries!
   <http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNjU/index.html>
   to contact the offices of both of your U.S. Senators by email, tweet or
   phone (or all three!).
   - Simply ask them in the lang­uage suggested or your own words to “sign
   the FY18 LSTA and IAL Dear Appropriator letters.”
   - Then, ask your library staff, your governing and advisory boards, your
   volunteers, vendors, employees, Friends, foundation members and your
   patrons—every library lover you know—to take action too!
   - Check up on your Senators. Use our easy tracking tool
   <http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNjY/index.html>
   and, if you don’t soon see your Senator listed as a signator of the LSTA
   and/or IAL “Dear Appropriator” letters, ask them again to sign on right
   away.

We can do this. You can do this. If you care about libraries and all they
do with more than $210 million in federal funding that flows to every state
in America, *you must do this*.

Thank you
[image: Julie Todaro signature]

Julie Todaro
ALA President
 [image: Facebook]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNjc/index.html>[image:
LinkedIn]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNjg/index.html>[image:
Twitter]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNjk/index.html>[image:
AddThis]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNzA/index.html>

If you no longer wish to receive ALA Membership emails, please click here
<http://ala.informz.net/ala/optout.asp?uid=1007407650&mi=6527443&fid=2402>.
To unsubscribe from all American Library Association communications, click
here
<http://ala.informz.net/ala/default.asp?action=u&email=LJacobs363@aol.com&mi=6527443&fid=1872>
.
American Library Association, 50 East Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60611
www.ala.org
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNzE/index.html>.

[image: Informz for iMIS]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NTI3NDQzJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDM1MDQxNzI/index.html>