[ISLMA-Share] Self Checkout/Flex scheduling

Wed Aug 2 14:02:58 CDT 2017

I love my self-check out! Here’s a few tips.

1.      Use an old desktop and set it up to only do check out. Use another old desktop to do only check in. This will eliminate numerous user errors.

2.      Have 2 monitors at the station. One that the students see and one you can see.

[cid:image004.jpg at 01D30B98.0B9C17F0]

3.      Keep the keyboard on your side of the desk. This way students can only enter their name by the barcode on his/her ID and the barcode on the book.

4.      Set the barcode reader so it is always on. That way the system is hands-free.

4.5   Allow teachers to touch the barcode reader (but not the students). This way they can access the class roster sheet by pressing the trigger to turn off the reader and then press it again when they get to the student’s name. Side note, the sheets are just for the teacher to use.

5.      Print out the command barcodes. For my students, it is just the reset barcode. It is laminated and connected by a piece of string.

6.      Train students and faculty. Our procedures for self-checkout are:

a.      Zap ID

b.      Zap Book(s)

c.      Zap Reset
It is a lot tougher than you’d believe to get everyone on the same page.

5.5   Side note, self-check in is just:
a.    Zap book
b.    Zap reset

7.      Set your sounds of errors. Too bad a previous update by Follett made this far more difficult. As of last Spring, the overdue error message played over the attention needed error message. I hope they switch it back (oh, we also don’t worry about overdue books nor charge for fines, we just want the kids to finish the book).

8.      Remember that the kids won’t read the screen.

9.      Turn off anything that requires a password override. What happened to me was the error would pop up and the kids just keep zapping.
If you have other questions, feel free to ask.

Sincerely,

Alan, Librarian serving Brooks Middle School
holtzac at vvsd.org<mailto:holtzac at vvsd.org>

"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks about education."
- Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education