[ISLMA-Share] teaching research to high school students

Thu Aug 17 10:06:28 CDT 2017

Carolyn is right. I tend to teach research to a specific lesson/project to
avoid the inevitable "why do we need to know this" line of questioning. I
tend to start with an advanced google searching bit, followed by a quick
website evaluation review (with good and bad examples, plus a fake news
bit), concluding with a few exercises using our Gale databases. Some of our
teachers have me skip google portion entirely, but I prefer they know it
all and make the decision themselves.

Good luck!

Brian Hoffmeister

Brian Hoffmeister
Library Media
Hoff the Librarian <http://www.hoffthelibrarian.com/> research website
Lab/Laptop Schedule
<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wm1TKLM4nJZA8ZtqWHRUZeAUn0ICxR-ceozupxYEK-w/edit?usp=sharing>

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> My best advice is to teach it when they need it and direct it toward a
> specific assignment.  I collaborate with teachers a lot, so I teach using a
> pathfinder with specific databases to freshmen looking for country
> information in World Cultures, but I teach advanced academic research
> skills to seniors in AP or Dual Credit courses. I have found that teaching
> these skills without an assignment for practice is not good and does not
> lead to student understanding or retention.
>
> Carolyn
>
> Carolyn Kinsella, District Librarian
> Minooka Community High School
> ckinsella at mchs.net
>
> Central Campus
> 301 S. Wabena Ave.
> Minooka, IL  60447
> PH: 815-467-2140 ext. 5040 <(815)%20467-2140>
>
> South Campus
> 26655 West Eames
> Channahon, IL 60410
> PH:  815-521-4217 <(815)%20521-4217>
>

> On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 10:34 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Hello all!
>>
>> I would like to ask all the high school librarians what method(s) you use
>> to teach research skills to high school students? I have been in the middle
>> school area for several years and would like to know what's best practice
>> for our high school students,  now that I'm in a high school.
>>
>> Thank you very much for sharing your expertise and resources!
>>

>> Lori McGreal

> *--------------------------------------------------------------------*
> This message originates from Minooka Community High School District #111.
> It contains information that is confidential or privileged and is intended
> only for the individual or entity named above. It is prohibited for anyone
> else to disclose, copy, distribute or use the contents of this message. All
> personal messages express views solely of the sender, which are not to be
> attributed to MCHS District #111, and may not be copied or distributed
> without this disclaimer. If you received this message by mistake, please
> notify us immediately at 815-521-4017 <(815)%20521-4017>

This message and any attachment thereto is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s), and is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act
(18 USC 2510 et seq.). It may contain information that is confidential and
legally privileged within the meaning of applicable law. If you are not the
intended recipient, please immediately alert the sender by reply e-mail,
permanently remove this message and any attachments thereto from your
system, and destroy any hard copies thereof; do not disclose the contents
or take any action in reliance upon the information contained in this
message or any attachments. If you have any doubt as to the authenticity of
this message or any attachment thereto, please contact the sender
immediately. Any copying, disclosure, distribution or other action taken or
omitted to be taken with respect to an erroneously received or inauthentic
message or attachment is prohibited.