[ISLMA-Share] Whooo's Reading

Mon Aug 28 20:36:21 CDT 2017

Our school PTO used it two years ago as a fundraiser. I didn't hear about
it until it had already started. One student was putting in HOURS of
reading each day. Typing it in, I mean, not actually reading. Many other
kids got mad, called him a cheater, etc. We couldn't make it clear to him
or his parents that there was no *way* he could be reading 8+ hours a day
as well as going to school! They did it for four weeks, which was too long
as a fundraiser.

This past year was MUCH better. We only did it for two weeks. I knew about
it ahead of time. I introduced it in the library and went over how to sign
in, how to put in books and time spent reading, etc.

A few classroom teachers use it in place of reading logs or reading
response.

I think if the kids really take the time to answer the questions
thoughtfully and not just compete to get coins, I think it could be a good
thing.

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 9:40 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> I have been researching the Whooo's Reading program?  Are any schools
> currently using this and if so what are your thoughts?
>

> *Sarah*

Ms. Pamela L. Meiser
*Teacher Librarian*

*Barbara B. Rose Elementary School*