[ISLMA-Share] Have you heard of this book?

Tue Dec 5 09:05:58 CST 2017

I read this book!  But the name escapes me, too.  If it helps anyone else
remember, in the book I'm thinking of, the fish-like people are confined to
"reserves" on the beach. There is a lot of hatred and violence between the
people, and they try an experiment to bridge the gap by having a "typical"
high school girl attend school with the "prince" of the fish people.

Taryn Hettlinger Parise
Library Learning Center Director
Longfellow School

*Now on Facebook (Longfellow School Library) and Instagram
(@longfellow_library)*

Currently reading: The Last Kids on Earth

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Hi everyone! I was hoping for some help figuring out the title of a book
> with the following description. If you think you know what it is, feel free
> to email me at: cloizon at orland135.org.
>
> Here are the details:
>
>    - People live in houses on stilts.
>    - Children in a certain lineage have gills, but they don't know about
>    it until they reach a certain age or milestone.
>    - The main character is at a friend's house, and they get attacked by
>    some kind of demon because he can smell her / sense that she is one of the
>    "special" people who have this power.
>    - The demon ends up kidnapping some siblings. The rest of the book is
>    the characters trying to rescue the siblings.
>    - They watch a demon ritual and one of the characters has to jump in,
>    which is when they find out they have gills.
>    - The grandma sees the gills as a curse.
>

> Do you know what book this is? Thanks for any leads!

This electronic mail message may contain confidential and proprietary
information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying or distribution of this communication is strictly
immediately delete this message and any attachments.