[ISLMA-Share] Student Created Audiobooks

Tue Dec 5 13:13:26 CST 2017

I wouldn't think that having students read the books would be a copyright infringement because the subject is the student reading the book, not a copy of the book itself. And doing so for a school project would probably fall under the "for educational purposes" part of fair use.

I'm not quite sure of any of that, and if I'm wrong please correct me.
-Clair
From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] on behalf of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association [islma at list.railslibraries.info]
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2017 1:03 PM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Student Created Audiobooks

Hi everyone,

I am pretty sure I know the answer to this but a teacher has asked me to put it out on the listserv for suggestions.

She wants to have students create audiobooks. She was thinking of them taking pictures of the book and then recording their voices over the images in a video program. Her idea was to share these readings with elementary students. I told her that she couldn't do that because of copyright. Her next suggestion was to video the student reading the book on video and dispersing that way. Still copyright, right?

Any follow up explanation or suggestions to her project to not infringe would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Staci Thompson

This transmission is intended and restricted for use by the above addressee only and may contain CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION WHICH MAY BE EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. Any unauthorized review, use, dissemination, distribution, downloading, or copying of this communication or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the listed sender by reply email, and take necessary steps to delete the file from your system and destroy any hard copies of this transmission.