[ISLMA-Share] Chromebook cart management question

Thu Dec 7 10:01:19 CST 2017

Thank you all for your responses. Here's what's happening for us currently:

We have 4 Chromebook carts which are circulated and shared by all our
teachers & housed in the library. I've created a Google spreadsheet
calendar for scheduling, one sheet per week, and teachers self-schedule. No
problems with that. They are catalogued in Destiny Library  and Destiny
Resource managers. I don't check them out in the system, but use the
spreadsheets to gather statistics.

Individual students will borrow devices from me during class and study hall
if there's an available cart in the library that period or if a teacher has
any to spare that particular period. The students sign them out on a
clipboard in the library, indicating what classroom they'll be using it in
and from which cart & device number they borrowed. Low tech for me, as I'm
solo and would be consumed with checking in & out devices if this were
managed in Destiny. most of them get returned right at the end of the class
period, and then off to the next teacher the cart goes.

When teachers are using the carts in their classrooms, currently few are
tracking specific student users each period. Overall we've only had issues
with removing keys on the keyboard which started out as normal wear and
tear, or keys no longer functioning. Most of the devices are used every
class period, so they get consistently heavy use and the schedule is booked
up 2 weeks in advance.

Here's my current issue: Yesterday we had a student bring in a device that
had been reset to Arabic. Tech department checked history and my admin is
in the process of discussing the issue with the last 3 students who logged
on. I took screenshots and emailed teachers asking them to be vigilant.

This morning a 2nd period English teacher brought me a device used in his
1st period class that also had been reset to Arabic. I'm waiting to hear
back from Tech after emailing them. My admin is not at school today.

I'm not sure there's anything we can do to better track usage right now
other than what we're doing at the moment but I'm open to ideas.
Thanks again for sharing what you do & any suggestions. I know how busy
this time of year gets!

*Pamela Huff*
Teacher/Librarian
Learning Center Director
*Johnsburg High School*
2002 W. Ringwood Road
Johnsburg IL 60051
*815-385-9233*

phuff at johnsburg12.org

On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library