[ISLMA-Share] VR Experiences

Mon Dec 11 09:06:16 CST 2017

Thanks to everyone who responded!

So far we have used VR for the following:
* Physics classes taking a virtual tour of CERN and the Hadron collider in
Switzerland through Google Expeditions (I find Google Expeditions more
cumbersome and also more taxing on the WiFi)
* English 3 prepping for The Things They Carried by viewing "The Fight for
Falluja" via New York Times Interactive
* Modern Issues (Seniors) discussing BLM movement viewed "Millions March
NYC" on Vice VR via the Within app
* English 3 and AP Lang also viewed "Millions March NYC" during their
discussions of Civil Disobedience and Walden; AP Lang then researched and
analyzed current protests through the lens of MLK or Thoreau and argued
whether said protests were necessary and successful

The feedback we have gotten from the students has been wonderful, and the
teachers feel that it seems to spark some empathy and understanding that
the kids don't always get just from the texts that they read. Usually, we
download the experiences to our class set of iPods so that we don't have to
worry about streaming issues. We currently use WonderTech headsets. They
are okay, but tend to break easily. If you can afford it, I would suggest
getting something a little more sturdy!

Best,
Kelly

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 1:46 PM, <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Kelly, what are you using for the VR experience thus far?
>
> Lindsey Meyer
> Highland Park High School
>
> On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 7:46 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Hi, all!
>>
>> We have started using VR in the library, mostly with English (touring
>> Fallujah before starting The Things They Carried) and SS (experiencing a
>> protest to spark a discussion of civil rights and responsibilities in
>> Modern Issues). I'd like to expand it a bit to other realms/content areas.
>>
>> For those of you who use VR (especially Within, Expeditions, NYT, Jaunt,
>> Discovery), what are your favorite experiences and how are you linking them
>> to classes?
>>
>> TIA and have a great day!
>> ~KMR
>>
>> --