[ISLMA-Share] lost books

Thu Dec 14 12:48:50 CST 2017

I have had students work off lost book fees (or general fines) in my
library.  I "pay" them $10/hour, so if they work for a majority of their
lunch, they get $5.00 taken off of their account.  If they work for less
than half of the lunch period, I'll take off $2.50 or so.  I typically have
them wiping down tables, book shelves, keyboards, etc.  I've had students
help pack up our book fair.  Any odd jobs I have for them to do that will
be relatively quick to explain so they can get to work.

I've also had students pay little by little.  When that happens, I just
enter the $$ they've given me into Destiny as they give it to me, so I
don't find that there's anything special to keep track of.

As long as students are working on paying their fines, or working their
fines off, I'll let them check out new books again.  I just want them to
show me that they're putting in the effort to "right their wrong".

Kori

Kori Wentzloff
LLC Director
Edison Middle School
Wheaton, IL
(630) 682-2050 ex.6861
kori.wentzloff at cusd200.org
#EdisonPantherPride

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 11:48 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> I have heard of people letting students bring in a book to replace the
> book they lost.  I know there would have to be some guidelines for that,
> too, though.  I had a student who did this, and she actually brought in
> four books she didn't want any more. We checked to see which were AR and
> priced them according to what Titlewave said.  Two of her paperback books
> replaced the hardback book she had lost.  It help her somewhat accountable.
>
> The library had a copy of one of the books already, so I gave it to a
> classroom library.
>
> Kathy Wickline
> Unity Junior High Librarian
> Tolono, IL
> wicklinek at unity.k12.il.us
>
> Follow us on Twitter and Instagram @ujhslibrary
>

> On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 11:40 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> I work in a Title One school.  Some families are extremely poor.  There
>> are about 5 or 10 students who have lost their library books and I don't
>> think they can pay for it.  I want them to be able to borrow books again
>> but I have to have some type of policy to determine who gets a pass on
>> paying for the book and a way to make it fair.
>>
>> I'm going to talk to my  principal but want some suggestions first.  What
>> do all of you do when a child can't pay?
>>
>> My ideas are:
>> let them work it off
>> let them pay a $1 a week but this is hard to keep track of
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Sue Meegan
>> Hoover School
>> Calumet city

>> <#m_3846842202195394742_m_5020937597574502353_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

This electronic mail message may contain confidential and proprietary
information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying or distribution of this communication is strictly
immediately delete this message and any attachments.