[ISLMA-Share] Google Lesson Ideas

Fri Feb 3 08:14:40 CST 2017

Just this week, my first graders read some Valentine's poems, then we made
a Doc called "Love" in which they name a person they love and then list 3
reasons why they love that person.  We'll practice using our size, bullet
points, color, & font skills before printing.  The second graders enjoyed
the book "Somebody Loves You, Mr. Hatch"  (which is also available on
http://www.storylineonline.net/), then we talked about people in our school
who might not get valentine's messages (janitors, music teacher, cooks,
secretary, nurse, etc). Each student volunteered to write to a person. Next
we created Google Docs to tell those people why they are loved, thank them
for their service, and wish them happy Valentine's Day.  Again, we indulge
in size, color, and font.

The students are delighted to have a special valentine to deliver AND lots
of the families/staff hear about and see what kind of learning is happening
in Library Class!

I do not use forms or spreadsheets with this age group.  OK, 1st graders
fill out forms, but they don't create them.

Michelle Harris
Heyworth CUSD #4

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 8:43 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Hello,
> I was wondering…does anyone have ideas on how to use google doc, forms,
> spreadsheets etc, in lessons for K-2?
> I am struggling with ways to include my young students in lesson by using
> google technology. The hardest part is that I don’t have 1:1 or computers
> in my library. I have 3 computers.
> I would have to get the cart of laptops. However, was curious if anyone
> has any experience in this area and was willing to share. Thanks so much.
> Alisha
> --
> This e-mail may contain confidential material.  If you were not an intended
> recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies.  Please note
> that
> we monitor all e-mail messages to and from our network.

Michelle Harris
District Librarian
Heyworth CUSD #4