[ISLMA-Share] ESL/Bilingual Endorsement

Mon Feb 6 18:44:01 CST 2017

I did my ESL endorsement the same way…cohort through University of St. Francis. Was able to do while working full time as a school librarian at 2 elementary schools. My 100 hours were completed by working with my own ELL students in the classes I teach regularly on my fixed schedule.

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Monday, February 6, 2017 10:07 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] ESL/Bilingual Endorsement

I am currently taking classes to get my ESL endorsement through the University of St. Francis. I am fortunate that our district formed a cohort that meets at the school in which I work. There are 5 classes and we will be finished in one year. Each class is 8 weeks of work and we meet once a month for 4 hours an evening. For each week there are three assignments; a discussion question related to the reading assignment, an activity based on the reading, and a reflection. I will be able to get my 100 hours during the school year since we have ESL students in almost every class that comes to the LRC. I can use the hours in which I am in contact with these students to count towards my 100 hours. I must admit it has been a challenge to work full time and do all the homework. I'm now in the Assessment class and feel that the assignments are valuable to apply to the SLO formative and summative assessments we are creating in our district.

Attached is a description of the cohort at our school. There is a phone number of Bill Freeman who can probably tell you where the next closest cohort to you will be starting up.