[ISLMA-Share] Book content

Thu Feb 9 10:29:40 CST 2017

I agree with you.  I have been a librarian for many years now and have seen the shift for a while now.   The only parent complaints I have had regarded the “sexual” content of a book.  I have never had anyone complain because people were being eradicated enmasse.

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Thursday, February 9, 2017 8:28 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Book content

It's an interesting comment on our society where we have to concern ourselves over intimations of sex and alcohol use, but if they were reading a book such as Hunger Games, there would be little concern for 8th graders reading about killing and torture.  This is not disparaging of any individual because I feel like I have to do it too.  And I know it's not a new phenomenon; it's been this way for what seems like forever (and maybe it has been).  It's just a remark on our long-held societal values: killing=appropriate; sex=inappropriate.
John Moranski