[ISLMA-Share] rules for teachers

Tue Feb 14 15:06:28 CST 2017

I had this problem when I first started. I made a rather large sign that I
posted behind the counter (so you could only see it once you had,
"trespassed").  It said, "Only trained staff are allowed behind the
counter. Please see Ms. Krippner for training if you are interested in
volunteering." Now there are only a couple of interlopers. I assume they
can't read. I just get overly close to them (in their personal space) and
they move along. I'm not sure what to tell you about the overly zealous
book puller...

Leah Krippner
Librarian, Harlem High School
I am currently reading *The Natural Way of Things* by Charlotte Wood

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> I have an interesting issue.  I have teachers who like to overstep the
> boundaries in the LMC.  Some feel it is ok for them to not only come behind
> the circulation desk but take a seat in front of the check out PC, blocking
> the ability to assist students.  A few even wander into our back office.
> Another feels the need to pull massive amounts of books off the shelves
> while I conduct book passes with books I already pulled for her class,
> leaving mountains of books to be reshelved.  Another often decides to
> overstay part way into a second period because she fails to arrive in the
> LMC on time.  I have posted signs that state the space behind the circ desk
> is for library staff only and yet it seems to only work with students.
>
> Do you have a set of rules for teachers?  How do you go about sharing them
> and still preserve an amicable relationship?  I would never walk into a
> teacher's classroom and do half the stuff some of them do in my class space.
>
> Thanks.

This email was sent by a staff member of Harlem Consolidated School
District 122.