[ISLMA-Share] rules for teachers

Wed Feb 15 08:23:46 CST 2017

Carolyn's advice is excellent. Many teachers don't "see" the space behind
the counter the same as the space behind their desks, especially if it's
configured to be easily accessible.
My counter space last year before our remodel had one way in and one way
out. My work room door was inside the counter space, and there was at one
time a phone set up for teachers to make calls to parents with the door
closed. It was listed as the Learning Center Office phone, and the office
ladies kept sending calls to that phone instead of the one on my counter. I
was never back there, and didn't check it every day, so I missed many
messages & I had them take it out. Until everyone realized it was gone,
people would walk back and look for it, and then come out to ask where it
was.

I let the learning process on this work its way through the staff, and it
worked well, but there was one teacher, a friend, who continued to walk
into my work room with her *cell phone* and make personal calls.
All.Day.Long. She was remodeling her kitchen. Her room was right across the
hall from mine. Many times she was already on a call when she entered the
Learning Center.Teachers & students were allowed to be on their phones
during passing periods but not in the classroom. So she came to my room
which she didn't see as a classroom. Hints did not work, and I finally had
to ask her not to make calls in my room, period, because it disturbed
student learning. She didn't speak to me for 3 days, but the calls stopped
and we were back on good terms.

It's uncomfortable confronting people, but it sometimes needs to be done.
Teachers won't don't know things bother you until you let them know.

*Pamela Huff*
Teacher/Librarian
Learning Center Director
*Johnsburg High School*
2002 W. Ringwood Road
Johnsburg IL 60051
*815-385-9233*

phuff at johnsburg12.org

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 6:36 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library