[ISLMA-Share] blended learning

Wed Feb 15 16:29:27 CST 2017

Hi Elizabeth,
We are piloting some blended learning classes this semester - 2 Health, 2 Algebra 1 and Intro to Psych.  When they are not in class, students may come to the library to study, but may also go to other designated areas in the building.  They do not wear their IDs, but they do have a notation on them showing what period they have a blended learning class, so that works as a pass if they are stopped in the halls after the passing periods end.  This year, students are not allowed to leave the building.  8th period is slightly different - we do take attendance in the library for that period's blended learning students. We use a Google sheet that we share with the classroom teacher, and she enters the attendance info in the student information system. We do not take attendance for the other periods because they can only come in through the main entrance and would be stopped there.  For next year, the district has applied for an attendance waiver from the state so students will be allowed to leave.  The fine details are still being worked out.  Underclassmen may need parental permission to leave, for example.  We won't have parking available for blended learning students, but we are walking distance to downtown Naperville.  Right now, seniors have an open campus for lunch only, and must leave their IDs at a designated door if they leave.

We do require all students who come into the library to sign in.  Right now, it's only been a few students each period, so it isn't having much of an impact on us.

Feel free to email or call me directly if you want more details.

Cathy Gottlieb
LRC Director
NCHS Webmaster
Naperville Central High School
630-420-6549
cgottlieb at naperville203.org<mailto:cgottlieb at naperville203.org>
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D287A8.ACBB57A0]

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2017 2:07 PM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] blended learning

I am interested in hearing from high schools who offer blended learning classes (classes meet M-W and T-TH students are free to go to the Library or other designated areas of the building) on how the library is utilized by teachers/students of these classes.   Has usage changed since offering blended classes began?  How do blended students access the library on their blended days?  Are all of your students (or just blended students) required to wear IDS?  Do you have open campus?  My school is piloting 3 health classes in the blended format and I would like to hear about the experiences of others. TIA

Elizabeth A. Grubaugh
Library Director
Geneva High School
Geneva, Illinois