[ISLMA-Share] self check

Tue Feb 14 08:53:45 CST 2017

We have one check in and one check out station (each with computer, aux.
screen and scanner - photos attached) for our 350 K-4 students. The
procedure is the same for all grades, although at the beginning of the
school year the teacher may supervise or perform the tasks for
kindergarteners and 1st graders.

We go through the procedure in Library Boot Camp every fall. Our students
don't wear their ID tags, so we maintain a book at the checkout station
with every student's barcode (grouped by class). They scan their name,
their book, and Miss Lotty Scales (her ID card has the reset code, so
students are responsible for closing their accounts before they leave the
station). If students carry their school IDs with barcodes, you don't have
to maintain the book.

Students are responsible for checking in their items before they check out
a new one. A few experiences with the 'red box' (Destiny) and Mean Mrs.
Wilson making them go back to check in their item while everyone is waiting
usually ingrains the process. In younger grades, teachers often have a bin
or basket in the classroom for returned library books. There is usually a
pair of student helpers assigned to bring the bin down and scan all the
contents in.

Good luck - feel free to call or message offline if you need to talk it
through!

Chris Wilson

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 8:34 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> I'd like to add self check in and out stations to our K-8 library next
> year.  If you do this, what kind of set up do you have?  What do your
> procedures look like and how does that vary by grade?
>
> Thanks,
> Beth Kovacic
> Komarek 94
> N. Riverside, IL

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson,  Media Assistant
Avon Center School
CCSD 46

*Home of the Novas *
1617 N. Route 83
Round Lake Beach, IL  60073

847.543.5509
wilson.christine at d46. <http://wilson.christine@d46.k12.il.us>org

*Please consider the environment before printing this email *