[ISLMA-Share] Battle of the Books - How do you get books in the students hands?

Thu Feb 16 15:48:02 CST 2017

We have been sponsoring a Battle of the Books for grades 4-5 for 11 years.  We use budgeted and Per Capita Grant money to purchase at least 3 copies of each of the 20 books on the list.  We use book fair profits to pay for trophies, medals, and food.  We do not charge students.  Our school is 75% poverty.

Every participant receives a ribbon, the 1st and 2nd place teams receive trophies and the 3rd and 4th place teams receive medals.

I hope this helps.

Peggy Burton, Librarian

Williams Elementary School

1709 S. 9th Street

Mattoon, IL 61938

217-238-2800

________________________________
From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info <islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info> on behalf of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 3:24:08 PM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Battle of the Books - How do you get books in the students hands?

I started the Battle of the Books last year with my 5th graders.  We had 15 teams of 5 students.  The Curriculum Director, the PTO and my library budget covered the cost of the books, medals and small prizes.

This year I opened it up to 4th-8th grade.  I have 39 teams of 5 students each.  The PTO and the Foundation covered the books, medals and prizes.  However, the PTO asked that I charge $10 per student next year to participate.  I am not comfortable with this because I don't want to exclude people.

Are your students responsible for finding the books?  Do you order extras and check them out?  Do you charge a fee?

The administration has asked me to do a little fact finding so I am reaching out to the great library braintrust.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

--
Jina Rappaport, MLIS
Elementary & Junior High Learning Centers

"There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book."

Frank Serafini

islma-leave at list.railslibraries.info