[ISLMA-Share] Battle of the Books - How do you get books in the students hands?

Thu Feb 16 15:48:30 CST 2017

I've been holding a Battle of the Books for 12 years.  Currently I have 4th
- 6th grade participating, and I've got 16 teams.  They are allowed to have
1-4 players on their team.  They can form cross-grade teams if they want.
I buy 3 copies of each book and an audible copy when available.  I have the
books available for check-out on a first come, first serve basis.  They are
allowed to check out the books for a two week time period with one renewal
for a week just to keep them moving.  I also tell the kids they are welcome
to get the from a public library or even buy them if they want.

Congrats on getting so many kids to participate!  And how fortunate you are
to have your BPO cover the expenses.  I agree with you and wouldn't want to
put a price on participating.  I think it will eliminate kids whose family
simply can't afford to buy in.  I personally think this should be fun for
anyone wanting to be a part of it.

Good luck with this.  I hope it works out for you!

Happily Ever After,

*Karrie Fisher*
Library Director &
Photography Teacher

*"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks
about education."  -- Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education*

*Baker Demonstration School*
201 Sheridan Road | Wilmette, Illinois 60091
t: 847-425-5800 | f: 847-425-5801

*Love to Learn, Cherish the Journey, Serve the World**
<http://bakerdemschool.org>
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Baker-Demonstration-School/92910953966>
<https://twitter.com/BakerDem>* <https://instagram.com/bakerdem/>

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library