[ISLMA-Share] Battle of the Books - How do you get books in the students hands?

Thu Feb 16 17:19:30 CST 2017

We do not charge our 110 students that participate in the program.  We use
our district funds and PTO money to buy 5 copies of each book.
Additionally, we give the list to the public library.
During our district competition, our associate superintendent creates a
nice certificate and gives each child a choice of one book from the Caudill
list for next year.  He purchases those books.
At the end of the year, I create a certificate, and the teachers hold an
assembly to present these certificates as well as other reading awards.
Our program is only offered to 5th graders in the district.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 3:24 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> I started the Battle of the Books last year with my 5th graders.  We had
> 15 teams of 5 students.  The Curriculum Director, the PTO and my library
> budget covered the cost of the books, medals and small prizes.
>
> This year I opened it up to 4th-8th grade.  I have 39 teams of 5 students
> each.  The PTO and the Foundation covered the books, medals and prizes.
> However, the PTO asked that I charge $10 per student next year to
> participate.  I am not comfortable with this because I don't want to
> exclude people.
>
> Are your students responsible for finding the books?  Do you order extras
> and check them out?  Do you charge a fee?
>
> The administration has asked me to do a little fact finding so I am
> reaching out to the great library braintrust.
>
> Thank you in advance for your responses.
>
> --
> Jina Rappaport, MLIS
> Elementary & Junior High Learning Centers
> Oak Grove School District 68
> 1700 S. O'Plaine Road
> Green Oaks, Illinois 60048
> 847.367.4120 x2710
> http://ogschool-library.weebly.com
>
> "There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only
> children who have not found the right book."
>

> Frank Serafini

Amy Sanecki
Librarian
Cotton Creek School
545 Newport
Island Lake, IL   60042
847-526-4700 ext: 3406

--

*This message is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the