[ISLMA-Share] 2nd Question: Diversity and Black History Month

Fri Feb 17 10:28:53 CST 2017

Hi Again,

My final question for today, I promise.  Any recommendations on implementing a Black History Month program, lesson,  or just promotional activity  in  the library that is innovative and engaging for students?

Also I wanted to find out what others are doing to diversify their libraries?  I'm a student at Dominican and am researching ways to ensure that library collections are diverse; as well, I am looking to better diversify my own collection of books as we serve a mixed population of Spanish and African American students.

 However,  I am only finding resources that revert back to books that are historical, biographical, and/or non authentic representations.  Do you guys have any recommendations for resources that you use to ensure adequate representation for marginalized groups like:  African Americans, Native Americans, Muslims, LGBTQIA, or Hispanic communities??

Any recommendations that you have would be great or any comments you have would be a great addition to this conversation.

Thank you!

Andrea Jamison
Lincoln Elementary School, District 156
Calumet City, Illinois 60409