[ISLMA-Share] lost books

Wed Feb 22 09:22:35 CST 2017

My library has no walls/doors either, and it is located at the center of our Elementary school, with busy hallways on each side of it. I have often thought if some kind of RFID tracking system would help, with books “walking” out of the library without being properly checked out first. But I cannot justify the expense of a tracking system such as that, when I can’t even justify the expense of putting up walls (with the administration)…ugh  If you can prepare a defense for establishing some type of tracking system, such as RFID, that may help?

Best,

Laura O’Brien

Elementary Media Assistant

Ben-Gil Elementary

Gillespie, IL  62033

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:47 AM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] lost books

My library has no walls, and with so many kids in the building after hours, it’s way too frequent.  I also find books in the most bizarre place—and I finally saw it happen: A kid picked out a book, but then he saw a different book he wanted as he was walking toward the desk, so he just exchanged them.  **sigh**  They don’t see why that is a problem.  Responsibility is a learned trait, and not all kids have it yet. At least they are stealing books instead of wallets. And sometimes it can be an honest mistake—like getting distracted at Cracker Barrel by all the store products and forgetting to pay and having to go back later and circling around the store so it looks like you just walked out of the restaurant and over to the cashier.  Not that I’ve ever done that! J

Valerie brunner

315 S. Henderson

Mt. Zion, IL 62549

brunnerv at mtzion.k12.il.us

217-864-2369

“be kind.  Everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle”