[ISLMA-Share] Stinky Books

Thu Feb 23 08:51:50 CST 2017

We made a "Stinky Book Box" after doing a lot of research about this very
topic.

-Get a small box with the bottom covered in a shallow layer  of kitty
litter and baking soda (our cat litter is cheap--unscented, non clumping).
We've had our box for a couple of years and haven't changed the litter/soda
mix yet. I would guess that the worse the odors are or with more frequent
use you might have to switch yours out more frequently.

-Fan the book slightly and set it down on its edge, so the spine faces up
and the pages open a bit, or if your box is tall you can stand the book up
and leave it fanned open.

-Leave the book in the box until the smell is gone. The longest we have
purposefully left books is 2 weeks. (I'll admit, we have accidentally
forgotten they were there and left them longer. I would recommend checking
them out to "Repair"  or "Stinky" so you get a reminder.)

We use a small plastic tote and my box as a cooling rack in the bottom
which helps keep the pages out of direct contact with the litter/soda mix.

Christy Semande
Canton High School
Canton, IL

csemande at yahoo.com