[ISLMA-Share] Smart Watches and AUP/Privacy

Wed Jan 4 14:06:57 CST 2017

I have an apple watch and there isn't a camera on it.  It connects to the camera on my iphone, so if the child can't bring his/her phone into the locker room there should not be any problem.  I've never seen a band that adds the capability; of course, it's new, so I'm basically fumbling my way through right now.

Janet Johnston
Reed-Custer High School

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2017 1:05 PM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Smart Watches and AUP/Privacy

Hi! My principal came to me with a parent concern about Apple watches--mostly about the ability to take photos in a locker room setting. I don't have one myself but did a little research and it seems that the watch doesn't have a camera, but you can buy a band that adds photo capabilities.

Just wondering if any schools out there have addressed this in their acceptable use policies or school handbooks.

Thanks in advance!

Carrie DeForest
National Board Certified Teacher
Roselle District 12 Library Media Director
Spring Hills Elementary School
Roselle Middle School