[ISLMA-Share] District Librarian

Thu Jan 12 09:13:01 CST 2017

We went through that too.  They did cut all but 2 and it was a nightmare.
Luckily they reinstated one at each school but we lost the aides that
help.  We did a presentation at the Board meeting showing what we do and
had teachers come too to let the Board know how valuable we were to them.
Good luck to you!

Betsy Yager
Prospect Heights Dist. 23

On Thu, Jan 12, 2017 at 9:05 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Dear Jen,
>
> A lot of great ideas already!!!!!
>
> Below is a great resource for research on the effectiveness of libraries.
> https://www.lrs.org/data-tools/school-libraries/impact-studies/.  Here
> are a few things to consider:
>
> Collecting data is important, more now than ever: how many students does
> each library see daily; what services do they provide; what types of staff
> support services do they offer.   Also, having a job description for each
> librarian at each building is critical.   You can present this information
> so your community understands what services they will lose if the librarian
> positions are eliminated.  Many times the board and administrators do not
> realize how much their librarian actually does. Make the data simple, but
> effective.  Too much information could work against you.
>
> It's also important to articulate the value of the library collection and
> the work involved in keeping it relevant and current.  Book displays are a
> great way to start.  Keeping circulation and collection development data is
> also important.  You can also highlight the collection by sharing
> curricular connections with teachers and staff  to show how your books can
> be used in the curriculum?  Send out book lists, book reviews, and other
> resources that make the connection.  Build a community of information users.
>
> Finally,  having website is critical.  Keep your website filled with
> vetted resources and tools for teachers and students to use.  Add projects
> and pictures so your community can see the library in action.
>
> I hope this helps!
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Michelle Torrise, MLIS
> Westmont High School
>

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 10:09 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Librarians,
>>
>> I need your help.  My school district’s administration proposed on Monday
>> the cutting of 7 of our 8 librarians for next year in order to save money.
>> The one remaining librarian would serve as the District Librarian and would
>> be stationed at the high school.  Their daily schedule (4 block) would be 1
>> block in the library, 2 blocks teaching in a content area, and 1 block for
>> prep.  Based on this schedule, the District Librarian would only have ¼ of
>> their day to maintain the collection for the entire district.  The district
>> is comprised of 4,500 students in 5 elementary schools, 2 junior highs, and
>> 1 high school.  The other 7 school libraries will be staffed with aides who
>> will be tasked to check in and out books to students and complete a yearly
>> inventory.
>>
>> I am looking for anyone who is a District Librarian to share with me
>> their current job description.  I am also looking for any data that you
>> have concerning how only having 1 librarian for this size of a student
> [...]

Please contact us if you would like this communication translated into your
native language.

Por favor, póngase en contacto con nosotros si desea que esta comunicación
traducido a su idioma nativo.

Prosimy o kontakt z nami jeśli Państwo potrzebują aby ta wiadomość została
przetłumaczona na język Polski.