[ISLMA-Share] Genius Hour

Wed Jan 18 14:05:36 CST 2017

Catie - Please share with me your lesson plans for this.  Sounds like you
have a great approach.  How do you manage the students' producitivity?  You
can email me directly at dguccione at ymail.com

Thanks!

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 1:51 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Passion Project/ Genius Hour
> We do ours one class period a week all year long - Quarter one is
> brainstorming and written their proposal, Quarter two is research and
> interview pro, Quarter three is make and do or solve, Quarter four is
> present and reflection essay.
>
> We have them do a interest/ personality survey at the beginning to help
> guide topics.
>
> Some projects that have gone (off the top of my head  -well include roller
> coaster physics, songwriting, fashion, computer game design /programming,
> animation, childhood cancer (plus service project), photography, sports
> analytics, stock market analysis, prosaic limbs,  green house design, write
> and self -publish.....
>
> Best wishes
> Catie Magierski
> Bryan Middle School
> Elmhurst
>
> On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am working with a teacher on a project which is new for the both of us.
>> Genius Hour is modeled after Google's company policy where employees can
>> spend 20% of their time working on projects of their own interest.
>>
>> My worry is that I will have kids in every class that can't "think" of a
>> project that interests them.  Has anyone done Genius Hour in the past?  Do
>> you have any tips or fail-safe projects your kids have used that I can
>> suggest?
>>
>> TIA!
>>
>> --
>> Sincerely,
>> Amy Hamernick
>> Teacher Librarian
>> Century Jr. High
>> @AhamernickCJH
>> #CenturyWildcats
>>

>> "If we always do what we've always done,
>> we will get what we've always got."
>> ~Adam Urbanski~

Deanne Guccione, Librarian
Pleasant Plains Middle School
dguccione at ppcusd8.org

"Winning is not always about shining the brightest.  Sometimes it's about
sharing the light with someone who has been waiting in th shadows all
along." Quote from the book* Save Me A Seat* by Saraha Weeks & Gita
Varadarajan
Currently Reading:  Hopeless

[image: 15717943]
Just finished:  Save Me A Seat