[ISLMA-Share] Genius Hour

Thu Jan 19 07:57:27 CST 2017

Just wanted to say I love all the Genius Hour ideas! Y’all are rock stars!

(Not sure my school would ever incorporate something like this, but I have a post-it note on my computer now to remind me to try to think of ways to encourage them to do so.)

From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [mailto:islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] On Behalf Of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:15 PM
To: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Genius Hour

Hi Amy,

I actually teach a Genius Hour rotation at my 5/6 school in Homer Glen.  I piloted it last year and this year I will have had 240 students having gone through my class in the library.  I do 2 classes a day with 30 students each, all working independently on their own passion project.

We start with a 2 week group project and the class decides the over arching topic and then they research the subtopics and present to get through the research process so they are ready to go off on their own.  Last quarter one class did "Cryptids" (Bigfoot, Chupacabra, Loch Ness Monster...), this quarter the decided on sports so they are doing everything from Football to Cricket.

When we start the Genius Hour, first we define what that would be...what makes a Genius Hour and how it is different from just a topic you can google.  They brainstorm with a graphic organizer, create a proposal and they, their parent or guardian and I sign off on it.  Then they start researching and creating. Half way through they make part of their rubric themselves.

The class runs about 8-9 weeks.  I have had kids create their own hockey sticks, the worlds best chocolate cake, crocheting, building apps and video games, an online family recipe book (my personal favorite with pictures of their family and their prized recipes).  It has been an awesome experience.

If you want ANY of my materials, I don't mind sharing....and please feel free to call me at Hadley Middle School in Homer Glen, (708) 226-7768.  I would love to talk to you.

Good Luck and let me know how I can help!

Dawn