[ISLMA-Share] Repairing books

Thu Jan 19 13:08:20 CST 2017

You should be using book glue, which has a plastic component to allow the
repair to remain flexible as the book is opened and closed. You can get
this from library supply vendors such as Demco or Kapco. These vendors also
have a number of online videos demonstrating various techniques for book
repair. I hope they are helpful!

Chris Wilson

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 12:59 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> Lately, many students have brought their textbooks to me for repair. The
> most common problem is that the spine has separated from the outside cover.
> I usually glue the spine back to the cover and then tape the insides with
> book tape. I put some rubberbands around the book for the glue to dry.
>
> I have no idea if this is the best strategy for repairing large books.
> Does anybody have any better suggestions? Also, is there a special glue you
> use on the spine? I am currently just using Elmer's.
>
> Thanks for any feedback!
>
> -Amy Edrington
> Central A&M

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson,  Media Assistant
Avon Center School
CCSD 46

*Home of the Novas *
1617 N. Route 83
Round Lake Beach, IL  60073

847.543.5509
wilson.christine at d46. <http://wilson.christine@d46.k12.il.us>org

*Please consider the environment before printing this email *