[ISLMA-Share] Destiny self check out

Mon Jan 23 13:26:55 CST 2017

Does anyone have their students on self-checkout?
I love it. My K-4 kids catch on to self-check in and out quickly.

How does it work for you library? Pro/cons?

*Pros:* 1)  Frees me up to help students rather than being chained to the
circulation desk.  2)  Builds responsibility for students. If they haven't
checked an item in properly, it is still on their record when they check
out something new. There's no more 'But I brought it back!' that you have
to verify. If they swear they brought it back, they have to check the bin
and scan it in when they find it. Often there's an 'Oh, yeah, I
remember...' moment.

*Cons*: 1)  Our students don't wear their ID tags, so we use a book with
student barcodes arranged by homeroom for them to use. Sometimes an item
gets checked out to the wrong person. (this problem goes away if your
students carry their ID cards with barcodes with them). 2) When teachers
require students to check in their own materials (rather than having a bin
in the room that a designated student brings and scans in each day) there
can be a bottleneck at the return desk.

Easy to set up, and what equipment do you use?

We always had 2 computers dedicated to circulation, so we simply designated
one for check in and one for check out. If I have 2 classes checking out at
the same time, the check in station can always be repurposed.

We use Destiny. We have 2 old laptops (all they have to be able to do is
run Destiny in a browser) with auxiliary screens and scanners. The laptops
face in toward the circulation desk, and the screen and scanner are on the
other side for student use.

Let me know if you want more info -

Chris Wilson

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 10:55 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> Does anyone have their students on self-checkout?
>

> How does it work for you library? Pro/cons?
>

> Easy to set up, and what equipment do you use?
>

> Amy Stefanski
>
> District Librarian
> Dunlap School District
>
> Media and Book Club Sponsor
>
> astefanski at dunlapcusd.net
>
> @LibranSki    @AmyNSTEM

'Who needs a librarian when you have Google? Well, who needs a doctor when
you have WebMD?'

Gwyneth Jones, The Daring Librarian.com

Christine Wilson,  Media Assistant
Avon Center School
CCSD 46

*Home of the Novas *
1617 N. Route 83
Round Lake Beach, IL  60073

847.543.5509
wilson.christine at d46. <http://wilson.christine@d46.k12.il.us>org

*Please consider the environment before printing this email *