[ISLMA-Share] dewey for mammals

Tue Jan 24 15:36:32 CST 2017

I had the same problem. It's really hard to be consistent with the animal
numbers and they get so long.

We ended up going to one digit past the decimal and use the animal name
instead of the author. Students, teachers, parent volunteers, and library
staff love it.

599.6 Zebras
599.2 Koalas
599.7 Bears
597.3 Sharks
598.4 Penguins

We have labels on the shelves for the different animals. Similar animals
are still near each other by going on digit past the decimal. It's easy to
remember one digit past the decimal. Shelving and inventory are very easy.
It means we need to change call numbers for all new books and make new
spine labels if they come processed, but the consistency is worth it.

Jill Berry
Elm School
Burr Ridge

On Tue, Jan 24, 2017 at 9:57 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library