[ISLMA-Share] Genre

Wed Jan 25 16:38:02 CST 2017

I often get this concern from parents and I love it!  With humor and gentle
suggestions, I chat with parents and tell them my philosophy is that this
is not a bad thing.  Of course some parents don't agree with me, but most
walk away at least rethinking their worry/concern/criticisms of their
child's reading habits.

Some of the things I note to parents are:

   - School is really hard work for kids and their brains are going
   full-tilt boogie all day.  When they get home they are tired!  Reading the
   same genres, authors, and even the same books over and over again is their
   way of putting on their comfy reading slippers.  They need and like to slip
   into their comfy reading places.  Doing this gives them an outlet to unwind
   but still enjoy reading.
   -
   - I also playfully suggest that eventually they will probably move on
   before they are in college to other types of books.  This is particularly
   funny when parents talk to me about the Captain Underpants series. With a
   smile on my face and a wink in my eye I'll ask the parents what types of
   books they like to read.  Usually as the parents start to tell me what they
   read, they realize that they are always reading sci-fi, romance, or John
   Grisham, etc.
   -
   - And then I share Daniel Pennac's Reader's Bill of Rights.  This is a
   philosophy that I have printed and hanging in my library.  I also post it
   on the library site on our portal.  I've had many parents write me and tell
   me how much they appreciate that I post it.  It gives them food for thought
   and sometimes even takes away their stress about their child's performance
   as a reader.

Here are *The Reader’s Bill of Rights* by Daniel Pennac

1. The right to not read

2. The right to skip pages

3. The right to not finish

4. The right to reread

5. The right to read anything

6. The right to escapism

7. The right to read anywhere

8. The right to browse

9. The right to read out loud

10. The right to not defend your tastes

Happily Ever After,

*Karrie Fisher*
Library Director &
Photography Teacher

*"What a school thinks about its library is a measure of what it thinks
about education."  -- Harold Howe, former U.S. Commissioner of Education*

*Baker Demonstration School*
201 Sheridan Road | Wilmette, Illinois 60091
t: 847-425-5800 | f: 847-425-5801

*Love to Learn, Cherish the Journey, Serve the World**
<http://bakerdemschool.org>
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Baker-Demonstration-School/92910953966>
<https://twitter.com/BakerDem>* <https://instagram.com/bakerdem/>

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library