[ISLMA-Share] Genre

Wed Jan 25 18:22:11 CST 2017

Try a Battle of the Books program.  Kids form teams of 4-6 students.
Provide a reading list.  Create a Google Classroom for each team, so they
can track their progress electronically.  Have a strategy meeting during
their lunch and recess period in your library.  Have a Q&A practice
meetings during their lunch and recess period in your library.  Write
questions for the books, or use past Wiki Questions from previous books on
our ISLMA page.  Organize competitions with 6 round robin questions, and a
Flash round of 10 questions using buzzers of some sort.  Get teachers and
your  principal involved in the timekeeping and scoring.  They WILL read
all sorts of genres!  Good luck!
Amy Sanecki

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> Hi All:
>

> Parent-teacher conferences are almost over and our 5th & 6th Literacy
> teachers are getting comments from the parents that their kids keep reading
> the same books (genres) over and over again.  Does anyone have any great
> ideas to get them out of their ruts?  They have been introduced to the
> genres so they know what they are but they just aren’t crossing borders
> when they choose books.
>

> We do have them participate in the Caudills every year (its optional so I
> only get about 40% of the class).  I do speed dating with the 7th & 8th
> so I don’t want to do that with them.
>

> Betty Klein
>
> Librarian
>
> Avery Coonley School
>
> Downers Grove, IL   60515
>
> bklein at averycoonley.org

Amy Sanecki
Librarian
Cotton Creek School
545 Newport
Island Lake, IL   60042
847-526-4700 ext: 3406

--

*This message is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
confidential, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the