[ISLMA-Share] Reading Logs in Google forms/other tool?

Wed Jul 12 18:30:14 CDT 2017

Our school read Donalyn Miller's Book Whisperer last spring, and in it, I thought she did talk about having the kids keep a list of the books they start as well as a reading journal that the student and teacher correspond back and forth in.  I know she has written other books since then--did she stop recommending this practice in her later titles?  I will definitely check out the link that was shared.  Thank you.

Brooke Fleuette
Mercer County High School

Currently reading: Spare Change by Robert B. Parker
Currently listening to: Odd Hours by Dean Koontz

----- Original Message -----
From: "Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association" <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2017 1:45:06 PM
Subject: Re: [ISLMA-Share] Reading Logs in Google forms/other tool?

I feel the need to mention that reading logs are no longer considered best practice when it comes to building lifelong readers. Consider how you are using them, and whose best interest they support? Talking to students about what they are reading is much better for students than filling out a reading log (besides, reading logs make it very easy for students to lie about whether or not they are reading). I would suggest all teachers and librarians check out books (or blog posts or tweets) by Donalyn Miller before investing time working on an activity that research has shown hinders students love of reading. Donalyn has shared all kinds of reading research (I linked below) on her blog and suggested other people to follow regarding reading research, as well.

https://bookwhisperer.com/2015/02/08/ive-got-research-yes-i-do-ive-got-research-how-about-you/

Lauren Ochs
Mahomet-Seymour High School

Sent from my iPad