[ISLMA-Share] How About Some Good News! Breaking #saveIMLS news

Wed Jul 12 19:34:31 CDT 2017

Hot off the press!

Lou Ann Jacobs
ISLMA Legislation
louajcbs at gmail.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Neal, ALA President <MemberValue at ala.org>
To: ljacobs363 <ljacobs363 at aol.com>
Sent: Wed, Jul 12, 2017 6:20 pm
Subject: Breaking #saveIMLS news

Having trouble viewing this e-mail? View as a web page.
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzUyMTYxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDU3MzkyNjI/index.html>
[image: ALA Membership]

Colleagues,
I’m pleased, but with important cautions, to tell you that all of our
collective work to *Fight for Libraries!* is poised to pay off
dramatically. Key parts of the House Appropriations Subcommittee bill that
is scheduled to be voted on tomorrow afternoon at 4:30 EDT were released
late this afternoon. The bill does NOT cut last year’s funding to the
Institute of Museum and Library Services. Once final, that would mean no
cuts to LSTA in this critical first vote stage! (We’ll know about
Innovative Approaches to Literacy tomorrow.)

Now the cautions… While unlikely, an amendment could be offered to the bill
that changes the IMLS appropriation. In addition, after tomorrow’s vote,
there will be at least two further procedural opportunities for the bill to
be amended. After the House acts, of course, the Senate will take its turn,
though probably not for some months.

As the phrase goes, therefore, this is definitely NOT over until it’s over.
We will report immediately on the results of tomorrow’s Subcommittee vote.
I hope very much that the next thing for us to do will be to thank our
House supporters.

Until early evening tomorrow in Washington, please join me in crossing your
fingers.
[image: James Neal]

Jim Neal
ALA President
 [image: Facebook]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzUyMTYxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDU3MzkyNjM/index.html>[image:
LinkedIn]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzUyMTYxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDU3MzkyNjQ/index.html>[image:
Twitter]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzUyMTYxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDU3MzkyNjU/index.html>[image:
AddThis]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzUyMTYxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDU3MzkyNjY/index.html>

If you no longer wish to receive ALA Membership emails, please click here
<http://ala.informz.net/ala/optout.asp?uid=1007407650&mi=6752161&fid=2402>.
To unsubscribe from all American Library Association communications, click
here
<http://ala.informz.net/ala/default.asp?action=u&email=ljacobs363@aol.com&mi=6752161&fid=1872>
.
American Library Association, 50 East Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60611
www.ala.org
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzUyMTYxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDU3MzkyNjc/index.html>.

[image: Informz for iMIS]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02NzUyMTYxJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDU3MzkyNjg/index.html>