[ISLMA-Share] HS nonfiction graphic novel

Thu Jul 27 14:03:48 CDT 2017

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley is a pretty good one. There's some discussion of porn and menstruation, but I wouldn't call it inappropriate for high schoolers. Also the recipes are amazing.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Relish-Life-Kitchen-Lucy-Knisley/dp/1596436239/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501182116&sr=8-1&keywords=relish+my+life+in+the+kitchen
________________________________
From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info [islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info] on behalf of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association [islma at list.railslibraries.info]
Sent: Thursday, July 27, 2017 1:59 PM
To: islma at list.railslibraries.info
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] HS nonfiction graphic novel

Hello all,
My English department is planning to teach the graphic novel Persepolis to sophomore classes, but they have concerns about some parents objecting to some of the language and the content. They've asked me to recommend another high school level graphic novel to use as a backup. The graphic novel must be:
1. nonfiction, preferably historical
2. have a strong female point of view
3. be appropriate for high school students.
Any ideas??

--
Caroline Fox Anvick
School Librarian