[ISLMA-Share] From ALA: Progress in the fight for libraries

Fri Jul 28 11:07:03 CDT 2017

Here is an update on the efforts to include library funding in the next
federal budget.

President Trump's proposed budget for FY18 zeroed out federal funds for
libraries. ALA began a campaign to get that funding re-instated by
Congress. As outlined below are what happens next and suggested actions to
be taken.

Lou Ann Jacobs
ISLMA Legislation Chair
louajcbs at gmail.com

Having trouble viewing this e-mail? View as a web page.
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02Nzk4OTUwJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDYxOTA4MjQ/index.html>
[image: ALA Membership]

Colleagues,

As Congress heads into its August recess, I want to update you on the
progress we’ve made in the fight to save federal library funding.

I am pleased to share that the Appropriations Committee in the U.S. House
of Representatives recently passed an FY 2018 spending bill without making
any cuts in federal funding for libraries and, in fact, provides a $20
million dollar increase for the National Library of Medicine. The bill
includes:

   - $231 million to fund the Institute of Museum and Library Services,
   including LSTA;
   - $27 million to fund the Department of Education’s Innovative
   Approaches to Literacy program; and
   - $413.9 million to fund the National Library of Medicine.

The next step in this process is for the full House to consider the bill
when members of Congress return to Washington after Labor Day. The Senate
has not yet acted, but its committees will begin consideration of federal
library funding then as well.

Advocates must continue to engage with their elected officials and remind
them why federal funding is important to libraries and the patrons they
serve. Here’s what you can do in the next five weeks of the summer:

   - Invite your members of Congress
   <http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02Nzk4OTUwJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDYxOTA4MjU/index.html>
   (or their staff) to your library and show them how you are serving your
   community.
   - Write a letter to the editor
   <http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02Nzk4OTUwJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDYxOTA4MjY/index.html>
   for your local newspaper urging your members of Congress to support library
   funding.
   - Ask to meet with your representative and senators (or their staff)
   over the summer, when they are home.
   - Invite friends to sign up for alerts
   <http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02Nzk4OTUwJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDYxOTA4Mjc/index.html>
   and join the fight.

The last four months have proven our elected leaders are listening. Your
commitment to staying involved at the local level is key to furthering our
success. Your energy and outreach have been amazing.

Thank you,
[image: James Neal]

Jim Neal
ALA President
[image: Facebook]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02Nzk4OTUwJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDYxOTA4Mjg/index.html>[image:
LinkedIn]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02Nzk4OTUwJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDYxOTA4Mjk/index.html>[image:
Twitter]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02Nzk4OTUwJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDYxOTA4MzA/index.html>[image:
AddThis]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02Nzk4OTUwJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDYxOTA4MzE/index.html>

If you no longer wish to receive ALA Membership emails, please click here
<http://ala.informz.net/ala/optout.asp?uid=1007407650&mi=6798950&fid=2402>.
To unsubscribe from all American Library Association communications, click
here
<http://ala.informz.net/ala/default.asp?action=u&email=ljacobs363@aol.com&mi=6798950&fid=1872>
.
American Library Association, 50 East Huron Street, Chicago, IL 60611
www.ala.org
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02Nzk4OTUwJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDYxOTA4MzI/index.html>.

[image: Informz for iMIS]
<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT02Nzk4OTUwJnA9MSZ1PTEwMDc0MDc2NTAmbGk9NDYxOTA4MzM/index.html>