[ISLMA-Share] H.S that allow Food in the Library

Wed Mar 8 13:47:32 CST 2017

My rule of thumb is that drinks are allowed as long as they have a lid that
goes on it when they're not drinking from their cup/bottle.  As for food,
the library is closed during lunch as i'm the only library staff member but
when it comes to snack food I tell students that the items they bring in
should be the size of those offered in the healthy snack machine we have
here at the school (your typical vending machine sizes of chips, etc...)
and they shouldn't bring in Sam's Club sized bags of snacks.  The students
for the most part take care of the trash they produce from snacks and
drinks here.

Chuck Atteberry
Roanoke-Benson High School

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> We allow food in the library also.
>
> We do not have restrictions as to what, when, or where students eat EXCEPT
> that they may only bring bagged lunches in - no cafeteria food - since we
> are on the opposite end of the building from the cafeteria and don't want
> kids heading down the halls with pizza, soup, pasta, etc.
>
> For the most part, students are very respectful and clean up after
> themselves, BUT when they do leave a mess, I find them the next day and
> remind them to clean up after themselves. They usually just need that
> reminder and are better about it moving forward. We are a quiet, relaxing
> space for kids who need it during lunch hours. We discourage large groups
> from sitting in here at lunch since they can easily sit together in the
> cafeteria.
>
> I have added more garbage cans all over the library so they don't have to
> search for one. I also placed containers of unscented baby wipes at every
> third table or so. I put a little sign on the box that reads, "Please clean
> up after yourselves. Our house elves are on strike." The kids use them like
> crazy. I am also very clear about our expectations regarding food and drink
> during freshman orientation so students really know from week one what we
> expect.
>
> That's a lot of info - sorry for my rambling. We have at least 40 kids in
> the library during each lunch period who need to get work done, want to
> read, or just need to get away from the chaos that is the cafeteria. It
> takes some work to make this place different than the cafeteria, but it is
> worth it for us! Good luck!
>

> *Angela Pigoni*
> LLC Director
> Wheaton North High School
> 630.784.7300 x8498 <(630)%20784-7300>
>

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> Hi my fellow librarian peeps,
>>
>> We are trying to change the culture at my school to be more inclusive of
>> allowing students to eat snacks in the library.  Are there any HS
>> librarians that are willing to share their policy and experience with food?
>>    Thanks in advance for all your help.
>>
>> Best,
>> Jennette
>>
>> Jennette Gonzalez
>>
>> Library Director
>> Ridgewood High School
>>
>> 7500 W. Montrose Ave.
>>
>> Norridge, IL 60706
>>

>> Phone: 708 697-5546
>> Fax: 708 456-0342
>> jgonzalez at ridgenet.org
>> <https://webmail.ridgenet.org/owa/redir.aspx?C=a5c33e3e31174373ab4eb22cf18f04de&URL=mailto%3ajgonzalez%40ridgenet.org>

> This electronic mail message may contain confidential and proprietary
> information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
> any disclosure, copying or distribution of this communication is strictly
> [...]

Chuck Atteberry
Roanoke-Benson High School

"Work with the living and bring the dead to life."  -author unknown