[ISLMA-Share] deleted/donated books

Thu Mar 9 12:26:04 CST 2017

I echo what someone said earlier:  Get students involved if you can!  I am
also in the middle of a big weeding session and my student assistants LOVE
stamping books and marking out our names/labels.  Since it's not something
urgent, they can take as long as they need, but usually it takes less than
a week for 4 students to mark out and stamp a cart full of books.

Kori Wentzloff
LLC Director
Edison Middle School
Wheaton, IL
(630) 682-2050 ex.6861

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 11:00 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library

> In my experience, if you don't remove your school identifying information,
> they keep coming back to you...
>
> We remove barcode labels when we can do so without damaging the cover.
> Otherwise, write 'deleted' in Sharpie across the barcode, and stamp
> 'deleted' in a few places. Spare address labels are good for covering up
> information you can't remove or ink over.
>
> If any of your items are marked that they are purchased with grant funds,
> be sure to check with your district, because there may be special rules
> about discarding those.
>
> Chris Wilson
>
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 9:47 AM, Email list for the Illinois School Library
> Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>
>> I'm weeding a large chunk of nonfiction this year, and I use high school
>> student volunteers to take care of "stripping" the books. (For some reason,
>> they love doing this). All deleted/weeded books are on a cart in my office.
>> The helper gets a big black permanent marker and a red "discard" stamp.
>> They tear out the date-due slip, and black out the barcode, the school name
>> stamped on the title page, and the spine label. Then they stamp "discard"
>> on the title page. Usually they can work through a cart full of books in
>> less than a week. As they finish, I set aside some books for our annual
>> used book sale, and then take the ones that will not be of interest to
>> anyone and carry them out one box at a time to drop in a book donation
>> stand (you can find them in some church parking lots if you look - they
>> collect books to help teach reading, and recycle the ones they don't use).
>> I'm not sure where I heard that identifying marks have to be removed from
>> deleted books, but I seem to have gotten that message somewhere, too. I'm
>> guessing so that the books don't end up coming back to you?
>> Good luck!
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 9:21 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
>> Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>>
>>> What are the rules for getting rid of books? I was told before (not even
>>> sure where I got that info??) that everything with the district/school name
>>> needs to be removed... but that's kind of a lot of work if you have a large
>>> pile of books!  Also the public library just puts a "withdrawn" label on
>>> their books and leaves their stamps/name in the book.  Any insights about
>>> what to do or where to go to find this info?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Joy Yerly
>>> Librarian
>>> Arbor View School
>>>
>>> Confidentiality Notice:  This email and any attachments are
>>> private communications and contain privileged and confidenti
>>> al information intended solely for the use of the individual
>>>  or entity named.  If you are not the intended recipient, yo
>>> u are hereby notified that you should not review, use, discl
>>> ose, distribute, copy or forward this email.  If you have
> [...]

This electronic mail message may contain confidential and proprietary
information.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
any disclosure, copying or distribution of this communication is strictly
immediately delete this message and any attachments.