[ISLMA-Share] Ruth Bader Ginsburg?

Thu Mar 9 20:09:08 CST 2017

Hi, Mary (and the rest of ISLMA)!

In addition to the great points Amy makes, I would like to offer some
perspective from the 'reader' side (full disclosure- though I sent my top
20, I did not make this year's selection meeting due to norovirus, so I
cannot speak to what discussions were had about the book that day).

I am the head librarian at a diverse school in the Chicago suburbs, and I
look at choosing the Abe list in the same way I look at collection
development. I want to be as sure as possible that everyone feels
represented.  Between receiving my ten assigned titles in mid-October and
the selection meeting in mid-February, I read and reviewed 46 of the 75
books on the master list. I read at lunch, after my preschooler was in
bed, on the elliptical- anywhere I could fit it in. I tried to slip all of
the books I read into larger booktalks one or two at a time so that I
could see how my students responded to them without giving away the fact
that they were nominated.

As I read, I kept a running tally in Google Sheets of my top 20; not my
personal top 20, but the 20 books I felt the most students would be drawn
to. This involved cutting a few of my favorites, and even adding books I
didn't really enjoy because I knew the students loved them. I tried to
include a variety of formats and genres. I tried to make sure we had
authors and protagonists who represented diverse races/creeds/gender
identities/sexualites/ages/socioeconomic statuses/communities. That top 20
list morphed many times over the course of four months.

I have read 18 of the 20 books on the 2018 list, and am in the middle of
the remaining two. I truly feel like the students and adults on the
committee at large have chosen a solid, diverse list that will resonate
with kids from all over the state of Illinois. I hope that your students
enjoy the books.

I, personally, LOVE Notorious RBG (both the book and the person). My
students from all walks of life really enjoy it, as well. I'm not sure if
you have read it, but it's beautifully put together. Every chapter starts
with a rap lyric, and the fonts, pictures, and fact boxes make it a
visually pleasing read. The information is fascinating, well-researched,
and easy to digest. It is extremely topical with the make-up of the
Supreme Court in flux, the greater discussion of women's rights, and the
recent threats facing members of Jewish communities across the US. I also
love that it emphasizes her friendship with the late Antonin Scalia, and
provides a great example of how people with very differing ideas and
opinions can still maintain close, respectful ties.

I appreciate all of the time and effort put in by all of the ISLMA
committees in regards to choosing these titles (including the Abe Babes,
who are nothing short of amazing). It is truly a labor of love, and I feel
lucky to have been a part of it.

Best regards,
Kelly Roberts

**********************
Kelly McGorray Roberts
Head Librarian, Glenbard East High School
Ph: 630-424-6693
Tw: @roberts_reads

islma at list.railslibraries.info writes:
>Hi, Mary.
>I hope you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see it!
>

>For more information on its origins, see this short clip of Ginsberg
>herself:
>[
>http://www.nbcnews.com/video/ruth-bader-ginsburg-explains-origins-of-the-notorious-rbg-883729987755
>]http://www.nbcnews.com/video/ruth-bader-ginsburg-explains-origins-of-the-notorious-rbg-883729987755
>

>Also, please remember that the master list is selected by many, many
>people, and not actually the steering committee, affectionately known as
>"Abe Babes." We had over 75 volunteers on our committees this year. To
>make the master list, a title must endure quite a process!
>1 - Nomination from a registered library
>2 - Become a semi-finalist, as determined by the nominations committee
>members
>3 - Reading Panel members read and evaluate it
>4 - Selection Meeting Discussion
>5 - Voted on the Master List by 2/3 or 3/4 majority of librarians,
>teachers, and students present at the meeting.
>

>Yes, Spare Parts is also an excellent title! I loved that story too.
>

>Thanks for your question.  Nominations and volunteer forms on our [
>http://www.islma.org/lincoln.htm ]ISLMA page for anyone interested in
>getting involved in the selection process.
>

>Amy
>
>Amy V. Bland
>
>Teacher-Librarian, Prairie Ridge High School
>News Team Advisor - [ http://prwolfprints.com/ ]PRWolfPrints.com
>Chair, Lincoln Award: Illinois Teen Readers' Choice
>[ mailto:abland at d155.org ]abland at d155.org | @amyvbland | [
>tel:(815)%20893-5248 ]815.893.5248
>

>On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Email list for the Illinois School
>Library Media Association <[ mailto:islma at list.railslibraries.info
>]islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:
>

>O.k. I try not to second-guess the Abe Babes, who work really hard, but
>can someone explain the Notorious RBG choice?
>

>My recommendation was Spare Parts, but could have gone with Sotomayor or
>maybe LeBron James, but this is an old white lady like me!  Hope it's a
>real notorious life ☺
>

>Mary
>

>Mary Spevacek
>Teacher Librarian
>East Aurora High School
>[ mailto:spevacekma at gmail.com ]spevacekma at gmail.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE & ABUSE REPORTING:
This message and any attachments are confidential and may be protected by state and/or federal law.
If you are not the named recipient of this message, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of this message or any attachment is prohibited.  If you have received this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to the sender and delete this copy from your system.
Thank you for your cooperation.  If you would like to report an inappropriate message that was sent to you
please forward the message to email at glenbard.org

Be Green Keep It On Screen - Do Not Print This Message