[ISLMA-Share] Copyright question for using commercial music on YouTube

Fri Mar 24 10:36:45 CDT 2017

The only recourse is for the students/teacher to contact each musical
artist's record label to request permission for use.

Michelle Harris
Heyworth CUSD #4

On Fri, Mar 24, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Email list for the Illinois School
Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info> wrote:

> I have a teacher at my school who is creating videos that she would like
> to upload to YouTube.  Her students want to back the videos with commercial
> music, which I said not permitted by copyright.  She would like to purchase
> the music on iTunes, which she thinks would then give her permission to use
> this music.  I said purchasing music on iTunes is for personal use and
> isn't intended to backdrop videos uploaded to Youtube; she would need a
> more official type of music license purchased then to be purchased through
> the music company.
>
> What recourse does my teacher have so that her students can back their
> video with commercial music and upload it to Youtube?
>
> (I offered her wevideo as an option but she said they only had 22 songs as
> a choice and her students wanted the commercial music option.)
>
> I am hoping you can all put this into perspective or that you have an
> option I haven't considered!
>
> Thanks!
>

> *Cheryl Harris-Sumida, NBCT*
> *Oak Forest High School IMC*