[ISLMA-Share] Copyright question for using commercial music on YouTube

Fri Mar 24 10:38:50 CDT 2017

YouTube will not always host videos with commercial music. We had an assembly were there was pop music in the background during a dance by our admin, and YouTube would not let us post the video to our channel.

My guess would be if the song is recognizable that the teacher will have trouble posting it to YouTube period.

Gretchen Zaitzeff

University High School
Normal, IL

________________________________
From: islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info <islma-bounces at list.railslibraries.info> on behalf of Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association <islma at list.railslibraries.info>
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2017 10:27:59 AM
To: Email list for the Illinois School Library Media Association
Subject: [ISLMA-Share] Copyright question for using commercial music on YouTube

I have a teacher at my school who is creating videos that she would like to upload to YouTube.  Her students want to back the videos with commercial music, which I said not permitted by copyright.  She would like to purchase the music on iTunes, which she thinks would then give her permission to use this music.  I said purchasing music on iTunes is for personal use and isn't intended to backdrop videos uploaded to Youtube; she would need a more official type of music license purchased then to be purchased through the music company.

What recourse does my teacher have so that her students can back their video with commercial music and upload it to Youtube?

(I offered her wevideo as an option but she said they only had 22 songs as a choice and her students wanted the commercial music option.)

I am hoping you can all put this into perspective or that you have an option I haven't considered!

Thanks!

Cheryl Harris-Sumida, NBCT
Oak Forest High School IMC
charris at bhsd228.com<mailto:charris at bhsd228.com>